Thursday, September 29, 2022

Learning to Speak the Same Language

How can we communicate if we do not speak the same language? As an older Millennial who identifies more with Generation X, I have a difficult time relating to Generation Z. Yes, various life experiences grant me a bit of wisdom, however I believe there are core cultural values that many African American youth in my community have not been taught. Maybe this trend is cross-cultural, however I can only speak on the ones whom I serve. In which case, I am constantly seeking solutions to improve my students’ morality and misguided academic mediocrity.

Before learning can occur in the classroom, I must first learn how to connect and build relationships with my students. Language is one of the primary methods of communication. To effectively connect with my students, I need to know how and when to speak their language

Because most of my students are immersed in the Hip-Hop culture, rap music has become a way for us to communicate. I have learned so much about my pupils by knowing their top five!

Someone’s top five reveals a lot about who they are. Since we become what we consume, the lyrics we buy into, become us. They shape our thought patterns and how we perceive ourselves in this world; this is a fundamental goal of Social Sciences! I am obligated to equip my students with the tools to successfully master their environment. However, to properly prepare for their future, they must comprehend the complexities of their past. I am looking forward to teaching my Hip-Hop History unit later in the Spring, however over the next few weeks, I will be exploring how the poetry of rap produces the necessary lexicon by which students can digest healthy portions of history, whereby holistically developing themselves. Through rap, they will learn how to recognize the roles of their authentic self and their double consciousness.

My resources for this week are inspired by the following rap songs. Let me know which one(s) you like and how many lessons you can count within each song. I have a feeling, you will be surprised by how much content is shared within a couple of minutes. I am talking entire course curriculums synthesized within three to four minutes!

Please note, that the strong and explicit lyrics are intentional and once we begin to look at more contemporary songs, the connection between the narratives will become clearer.

Dead Prez. Politriks. [YouTube]. 4 May 2009.



Frank, Walin. WOKIKSUYE. [YouTube]. 08 Oct. 2018.


Killer Mike. Reagan. [YouTube] 31 Jan. 2015.


Lupe Fiasco. American Terrorist . [YouTube]. 28 Aug. 2015.

Tupac Shakur. Changes. [YouTube]. 19 Oct. 2018.


 


4 comments:

  1. Yndia, your topic focus on hip hop poetry and rap is shaping out very nicely. I especially appreciate how you weave all of your topic selections alongside your personal philosophy with teaching. You also have a great collection of texts already gathered in this post. I look forward to seeing what texts you gather for your students to read/view/listen to on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this idea! I too am worried about making a connection with my future students and I am really afraid of being disconnected because of our different life experiences, backgrounds, etc. Music is a great way to form a bond and I am really looking forward to seeing how your project turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yndia, I think music is such an important thing to so many people that it would be ridiculous to not include it in our teaching. I especially appreciate how you view sharing music as "speaking the same language" since it is such an important way to connect with students!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yndia, I love the direction you are taking your blog. Music truly is a universal language that can move and unite all people. I especially appreciate your inclusion of the idea of students recognizing their double consciousness. It is so important to be exposed to multiple sides of history, and it is powerful to hear these stories as poetry set to music. My favorite example you included is American Terrorist. My boyfriend is a massive Lupe fan, and I have come to love his music and lyricism as well. I think he is a particularly strong example of beautiful storytelling with a positive message that can be accessible to young people. I look forward to seeing more posts from you. Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete

Learning to Speak the Same Language

How can we communicate if we do not speak the same language? As an older Millennial who identifies more with Generation X, I have a difficul...