Thursday, September 15, 2022

Let's Chat!

Salut

Yndia here! After a decade working as a Compliance Analyst, I chose to trade in my cubicle for a classroom. As a new Social Studies Teacher, I am able to leverage my years of legal research and writing and developing process improvement plans to create an impactful curriculum for students to learn the history of various systems and their role in shaping their identities.

My goal is to help restore the integrity of my community by reviving human dignity. In order to accomplish this, students must first learn who they are. Social Studies is a discipline dedicated to teaching people how to master their identity. Once we remember who we are, we can begin to truly add value!

My pedagogy is highly influenced by Hip-Hop culture, and through this blog, I hope to share how lyricism can actualize history and engage the listener, often the youth, to do and be better.

Next time we connect, I will be breaking down my inquiry work a bit more. Until then, check out this cool conversation with Nas and Harvard Professor Elsa New as they discuss some of his lyrics in “It Ain’t Hard to Tell”.







6 comments:

  1. I loved reading this post, mostly cause I love Nas and it was cool how you incorporated the clip of him. You bring a lot of interesting themes in this post and I'm excited to see what you pinpoint in your future posts. I love old school rap, so this is in the early running for my favorite blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excite to see where you take your inquiry topic, it's always cool to see two topics that not everyone would think go together, become enmeshed and learn about why it works. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yndia, I am really appreciative of your post. You've written with sincerity and creativity. I look forward to reading more. I immediately thought of Hamilton and In the Heights by Lin Manuel Miranda when you mentioned incorporating hip hop with history. Is that an example of what you're referring to when you say using lyricism to actualize history?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Yndia. I love that you emphasize students exploring their identities. As a music lover, I am excited about your focus on lyricism and Hip-Hop culture engaging young listeners. I look forward to reading your future blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ynida! I love your blog and your writing style, it feels so energetic and personal. I also love how much importance you put on studetns navigating and figuring out their own personal identities. I think that is such an important thing to do in the classroom! I look forward to reading your future blog posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like how you link your life experience, tackling the current topic, and previewing your next blog posts so seamlessly in your writing! I look forward to seeing more from you!

    ReplyDelete

Learning to Speak the Same Language

How can we communicate if we do not speak the same language? As an older Millennial who identifies more with Generation X, I have a difficul...